WinBook Tech Article
For more information visit www.winbookcorp.com
Testing the Z1, N3 or N4 modems in
Z1, N3, N4 Modem Test
Tech Article Number:
NOTE: You, the customer, are solely responsible for data security.
WinBook strongly recommends that you perform a backup of all personal
data contained on your system prior to performing this procedure. Warning:
WinBook will NOT be held responsible for any data loss incurred during
As always with modem testing; be sure that the modem is plugged into
the computer and into the wall jack. Verify that the line is working by
testing it with a phone before the following.
- With the notebook booted to Windows XP desktop click "START"
and then click Control Panel.
- Depending on the view set for the Control Panel you will click on
phones & modem icon if in Classic View or click on Printers
and Other hardware then Phone and modem option if in Category
- Click on the "Modem" tab, Highlight the modem
and then click Properties.
- Click the "Diagnostics" tab.
- Click the "Query Modem" button; if no error
appears the modem and software are communicating.
- Under command and response, scroll down and find ATI 3 this will
identify your modem and version of the driver. Make note of this you
may need it later.
- If the there are no errors then close Modem Properties and Control
- Click "START" and then click All Programs.
- Highlight Accessories and then highlight Communications.
- Click HyperTerminal.
- The first hyper terminal window will ask for a "NAME" type
in "TEST". Click OK.
- You will now be prompted for phone number. Enter 800 for the
area code. For the Phone number enter 456-6245 and Click OK.
- You will now see the Connection window. This will show you the phone
number to be dialed.
- If your phone line requires a 9 to access an outside line then
proceed to the next step. If no 9 is required then proceed to step 19.
- To add or insert a 9 to access an outside line click the Dialing
- The Dialing and Modems Properties window will appear. Click "New"
- This will bring up the New Location window. In Location name enter
"TEST" and enter your area code in the area code box (NOT
- Enter a 9 in the To access outside line for Local and Long Distance
calls box and click OK.
- Click OK the Dialing and Modems Properties window. This will
bring up the Connect window.
- Ensure that the phone is connected directly to the wall (DO
NOT connect through any other devices such as Fax machine, desktop computer,
phone cord splitter, etc).
- Click the Dial button.
- If the Modem dials and connects you will be prompted to enter a User
name and password. If this happens then the modem is working properly.
- If the modem does not dial please call Technical Support at 1-800-468-1225
with the exact error.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have noticed any problems
with this tech article, or if you feel that something is not clear enough,
please E-mail our Technical Support department by clicking on the link
below. Please include the Technical Article Number and the specific area
that you feel is inaccurate. Thank you.
WinBook Tech Article Feedback
Disclaimer: This information is being provided to you as a service
from the Technical Support Department of WinBook Computers. It is intended
to assist you in the resolution of your technical problems or questions.
If you feel uncomfortable implementing any of the information or suggestions
contained herein then you should e-mail the WinBook Technical Support
Department. WinBook will not be held responsible for any loss of information,
data or programming as a result of the use of this TechNote.
IPSG. All rights reserved. PowerSpec and WinBook are registered trademarks of Micro Electronics, Inc. Policies